You might have heard whispers of this deadly new internet ‘game’ or challenge, The Blue Whale Challenge, that has been gaining popularity worldwide. This deadly activity is no game but has been the cause of many suicides around the world. Yes, you read that right, people are committing suicide for this game.What is more these people or ‘participants’ are coerced into committing suicide because they are immersed in the game so much and feel that suicide is the only way out of the clutches of the person giving them orders.
What is the Blue Whale Challenge?
The Blue Whale Challenge was allegedly started in 2013 by a psychology student, Philipp Budeikin. Budeikin said he started this game to rid society of people who were no use to it. The game gained notoriety when pictures of peoples arms with a blue whale cut into them first surfaced online. And then it gained further attention when the suicides started happening.The Blue Whale has become the calling card of this game since it symbolizes a beached Blue Whale, which usually means that the whale unknowingly killed itself.
The Blue Whale Challenge runs for a 50 day period, at the beginning of which a curator or more commonly known as an administrator sends a message to a random participant. It is still not clear how the administrator selects their participant. The participants are usually of a young age pre-teens to teens but there have been multiple reported cases of victims over the age of 20. Also contrary to popular belief, the game does not require the download of an app or visiting a website, instead instructions are sent over apps like WhatsApp.
The curator sends tasks or ‘challenges’ which the participant has to fulfill otherwise their personal data such as pictures, addresses are leaked online and they are blackmailed.
There are 50 challenges a participant must complete in order to complete the challenge. Most of these involve self-harm. Here are those 50 tasks a Blue Whale Challenge participant has to complete:
- Carve with a razor “f57” on your hand; send a photo to the curator.
Wake up at 4.20 a.m. and watch psychedelic and scary videos that curator sends you.
3. Cut your arm with a razor along your veins, but not too deep, only 3 cuts, send a photo to the curator.
4. Draw a whale on a sheet of paper, send a photo to curator.
5. If you are ready to “become a whale”, carve “YES” on your leg. If not– cut yourself many times (punish yourself)
6. Task with a cipher.
7. Carve “f40” on your hand, send a photo to curator.
8. Type “#i_am_whale (rus. #я_кит) in your VKontakte status.
9. You have to overcome your fear.
10. Wake up at 4:20 a.m. and go to a roof (the higher the better)
11. Carve a whale on your hand with a razor, send a photo to curator.
12. Watch psychedelic and horror videos all day.
13. Listen to music that “they” (curators) send you.
14. Cut your lip
15. Poke your hand with a needle many times
16. Do something painful to yourself, make yourself sick
17. Go to the highest roof you can find, stand on the edge for some time.
18. Go to a bridge, stand on the edge
19. Climb up a crane or at least try to do it
20. The curator checks if you are trustworthy
21. Have a talk “with a whale” (with another player like you or with a curator) in Skype
22. Go to a roof and sit on the edge with your legs dangling
23. Another task with a cipher.
24. Secret task
25. Have a meeting with a “whale”
26. The curator tells you the date of your death and you have to accept it
27. Wake up at 4:20 a.m. and go to rails (visit any railroad that you can find)
28. Don’t talk to anyone all day
29. Make a vow that “you’re a whale”
30-49. Every day you wake up at 4:20 a.m., watch horror videos, listen to music that “they” send you, make 1 cut on your body per day, and talk “to a whale.”
50. Jump off a high building. Take your life.
Blue Whale Challenge Has Taken Many Lives
The Blue Whale Challenge has been responsible for the death of 130 teens in Russia. It doesn’t stop there, this game has become popular worldwide and from all across the globe we are getting news of kids and teens attempting suicide just so they can complete this game. Suicides from the US, Argentina, Brazil,Kenya,India, and many other places from around the world have have left us shocked as to why these children would do such a thing.
The death group ‘F57’ that started this game were adamant to clean out the gene pool of people they believed did not deserve to live. So the question naturally arises: why would people willingly do this?
I’m afraid I don’t have the answer. Maybe these young and impressionable teens want to be part of something bigger with the Blue Whale Challenge and are awed by the sinister nature of the challenge. Maybe it is morbid curiosity, maybe bragging rights- who knows.
Teens and kids reading this- do NOT even think of attempting this challenge. If you are thinking, ‘ Oh just how bad could it be’, well they manipulate you and have you commit suicide at the end. That is how bad it can be.
Don’t do it.
But hey, cheer up. There’s a lot of other things going around the world other than all this dark and depressing stuff, check out some happy stuff here! Or you could check out our Instagram too! Smash that like button on Facebook and show us some love. Or check out Photographires YouTube!